I was busy getting married and couldn't blog anything for the last few months, with all the hectic travelling and my all-time-favorite - SHOPPING. Three things I have observed back in India
I will start with the petty one -
1.Addiction to TV shows:
A year ago, someone sent me a picture of an Indian family watching TV together - what is "whoa!" is not their watching TV but watching it amidst a room full of water caused due to floods. I felt it was someone's wild imagination at work at that time but after my recent visit to India - it's no understatement. My relatives and family friends are testimonial to this fact.
Having not visited them for about two years, I took time to visit as many families as I could. Gone are those days when they would invite you eagerly, make you sit and offer a cup of coffee with snacks. Every family has a TV running aloud in the background when they were talking, when they were cooking, when they were cleaning the house, when they were doing almost anything.
For this amount of TV, it would be nice have they been watching worldly wise shows or one's that ratchet their knowledge - but nah! all most families have been watching were the serials(Soap Operas over here) where women were depicted as attrocious, cunning creatures, which always talked of how one lady villian would be planning on taking revenge on another lady woman or else the ones in which women were depicted as weaklings, patiently bearing the tortures. Give me a break - Of all the agonies life has - why do people want to sit, watch and think more and more of miseries and then lament about them???

My grandmother's one of the morning chores was to check out with the servant-maid what the story was - for the day before's soap opera they commonly follow. "ma - there are much better things life has to offer than to talk about crappy soap operas! " - I say . That doesn't work - she has her ears tuned to what the servant-maid was vividly narrating.
And then the hot topic -
2.Real Estate Boom -
No matter where you go, whom you visit, real-estate talk is the commonplace. I have seen some family friends who bought some barren land few years ago for about $500 in the outskirts of hyderabad.
And finish with the beast -
3.Corruption
(More tomorrow)
No comments:
Post a Comment