Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hail Dario!

Dont get confounded with the slew of commands I threw up here - I just consolidated them here so I wouldn't forget writing about these wonderful pandora's box of troubles that popped on the laptop I was working on this morning - had to do with the Oracle setup on my machine. Hail Dario - he helped me out troubleshooting these issues.

So, I was done with my SCJP exam yesterday and yes, I passed. And I come back to work and being so happy and its known that happiness begets success, right - So, I was all cruising along happily fixing bugs ..........yeyeyeye.! All the tests passed and what happens?

It all started with me waiting for the gumby and firing up the checkinSqlTests which everyone would normally fire up when actually checking in into the CVS. So, It happened that all my SQL tests were passing fine and well - lalala...except the 337th test failed. It complained of the "java.sql.sqlException - 12519"

Well, this is the exact error message
java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Connection refused(DESCRIPTION=(TMP=)(VSNNUM=153092864)(ERR=12519)(ERROR_STACK=(ERROR=(CODE=12519)(EMFI=4))))

The one test that was failing was opening connections, closing connections - well I mean to say its making use of multiple connections.

So, when we did this ->
select * from v$parameter where name like '%session%'
- mine(my machine) was running low at 60 sessions as opposed to all other systems which had 170 sessions.

And, when we did this ->
select * from v$parameter where name like '%open_cursors%'
- mine was running low at 300 cursors and everyone else has it set to 1000 cursors

So, we need to change these parameters, right? how hard could that be?
Well, it turned out that these fields are not system modifiable.

btw, nice post on tackling with the pfile issues.
Startup pfile

sqlplus [username]/[password] as sysdba

startup pfile=c:\oracle9i\admin\ORCL9I\pfile\initORCL9I.ora

create pfile from spfile

create spfile from file

No comments: